St.Catharines Open Streets temporarily closes the streets to automotive traffic to allow residents to explore and experience their downtown core in new and interesting ways. Open Streets fills the streets with fun, free activities for everyone to enjoy. Open Streets is about bringing people of all ages together to celebrate a revitalized downtown St. Catharines.
The goals of our program are:
St.Catharines Open Streets was initiated in 2018 as a pilot project. Due to the great response we'll be back in 2019! Come join us at the next St.Catharines Open Streets event!
Open Streets as a concept originated in Bogota, Colombia and has since spread as a global phenomena!
We think it's about time that St.Catharines got in on the fun with what will be a unique and exciting experience.
Here are all of the fun and diverse activities planned for this year's St.Catharines Open Streets!
We'll see you Sunday September 8th from 1-4pm!
Feel free to walk/bike/run/skip/dance your way across the event area as you please. Just remember - It's not a race!
- Hockey - In partnership with the Niagara Icedogs!
- Basketball - in partnership with the Niagara River Lions!
-Lacrosse activity & demonstrations- In partnership with the FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre & the Celebration of Nations
- Yoga - In partnership with Lost and Found Yoga
- Circuit Station - In partnership with the YMCA of Niagara
- Jump Rope
- Hop Scotch
- More TBA!
Arts and Culture:
- Historical Walking Tour - In partnership with the St.Catharines Museum.
- Live Mural Painting - In Partnership with Fulton's Fitness and the Niagara International Mural Festival.
- Bucket drumming, Ukulele's & Interactive music in partnership with Rysons Music Centre
- ART CAR! A favourite activity from last year is back! You can paint all over a real car! Activity in partnership with the Downtown Association & St.Catharines Nissan.
- Bike decoration & Bike parade
- Face Painting provided by Kaleidoscope Kids Face Painting
- Bike Valet Parking - in partnership with the Niagara Cycling Clubs Alliance
- Bike Tune Ups - In Partnership with Inception Cyclery.
- Water refill Station - Niagara Region Water Wagon
- Free Store - Leave an item or take an item! In partnership with OPIRG Brock.
Explore a City Bus! - in partnership with the St.Catharines Transit Comission.
Stay tuned for more fun activities
We have partnered with the Brock University Faculty of Nursiing to conduct research about the Community impact of St.Catharines Open Streets.
Results will be posted here when complete!
Files coming soon.