St.Catharines Open Streets temporarily closes the streets to automotive traffic to allow residents to explore and experience their downtown core in new and interesting ways. Open Streets fills the streets with fun, free activities for everyone to enjoy. Open Streets is about bringing people of all ages together to celebrate a revitalized downtown St. Catharines.
The goals of our program are:
St.Catharines Open Streets was initiated in 2018 as a pilot project. Due to the great response we'll be back in 2019! Come join us at the next St.Catharines Open Streets event!
Open Streets as a concept originated in Bogota, Colombia and has since spread as a global phenomena!
We think it's about time that St.Catharines got in on the fun with what will be a unique and exciting experience.
Here are the fun and diverse activities planned from last year's St.Catharines Open Streets!
Stay tuned here for updates for 2019!
Feel free to walk/bike/run/skip/dance your way across the event area as you please. Just remember - It's not a race!
- Hockey - In partnership with the Niagara Icedogs!
- Basketball - in partnership with the Niagara River Lions!
- Yoga - In partnership with the YMCA of Niagara
- Tai Chi - In partnership with Taoist Tai Chi
- Jump Rope
- Hop Scotch
Arts and Culture:
- Historical Walking Tour - In partnership with the St.Catharines Museum.
- Live music on The FirstOntario PAC Street Stage. In Partnership with the FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre. (see route and activities for details).
- Live performing arts
- Live Mural Painting - In Partnership with the Niagara International Mural Festival.
- Bucket drumming & Interactive music in partnership with Rysons Music Centre
- ART CAR! A favourite activity from the St.Catharines Car show continues. You can paint all over a real car! Activity in partnership with the Downtown Association & St.Catharines Nissan.
- Bike decoration & Bike parade
- Face Painting & Temporary tattoos
- Bike Check Station - in partnership with the Niagara Cycling Clubs Alliance
- Giant Chess - in partnership with Chess Nation Niagara
- Water Station
- Free Store - Leave an item or take an item! In partnership with OPIRG Brock.
Stay tuned for more fun activities
We have partnered with the Brock University Faculty of Nursiing to conduct research about the Community impact of St.Catharines Open Streets.
Results will be posted here when complete!
Files coming soon.